Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Fish, in soup. An imitation of a wondrous San Francisco Treat

Yeah, it ain't Rice a Roni, which in my estimation, is one of the more disgusting products on the shelves at the supermarket. I made this because I wanted to try to come up with something that would excite my eclectic tastes and remind me of my wondrous trip to San Francisco a couple weeks ago. Well, actually San Jose. We went to a Chinese place there and I ordered this dish, "Fish Fillets in Chili Oil"

And it was wondrously flavorful. Very nice. This picture shows how much of the chili oil they use. I had eaten a lot of it, and this is what's left. It was a huge bowl. The place was called Hunan Impressions. We were the only Occidentals there, with one very very Irish redheaded exception. But that guy used his chopsticks with aplomb so I think he fit in well. Me, fork. Anyway, the stuff was fabulous, everything we had. Everyone else had meat, but it was vacation so I tasted it. WOW! 

So anyway, I acquired some flounder fillets. I also had more shrimp shells in the freezer. See my previous post about using garbage for food. I made some shrimp stock and then strained well. Then I took some mushrooms and cut small, cooked in olive oil until well browned. Added some cut up red pepper, an onion, some shallots, three celery ribs and ten garlic cloves. Cooked a bit before adding a cup of Reisling. Reduced that, added the stock and simmered for ten minutes. I cut up ten Japones peppers and threw them in. Then added about ten leaves of Napa cabbage chopped fine and two zuchinni diced. Cooked anothe ten minutes. Then in a skillet, I cooked a slice of whole fermented wheat bread in olive oil, turned it over and as the other side browned, added some slices of Asiago cheese. (Remember aged cheeses are much healthier) Then when that was
done, I added some coconut oil and dredged the fish in some seasoned whole wheat flour and fried lightly on each side. Serve the soup in a bowl and put the fish on top with the cheese bread on the side. It was not the same, but it was mighty tasty.

Yep

No comments:

Post a Comment