Thursday, January 7, 2016

Holy Cow!!! Mushroom Avocado Curry with brown rice

Well I am trying to eat more and more vegan type foods. I read, watch documentaries, research it all, and find that at my age, my body's needs need to come before desires. Well, and this other thing as well, this very beautiful young maiden I'm friends with is vegan and that's what prompted me to look more into it. Although I do feel that wild caught fish are still my best bet for Omega 3 fatty acids. So, to that end, I made this stuff. Pictures still need work, but it tasted pretty fantastic. 

So, I started out by coarse chopping 8 big crimini mushrooms, a medium onion and a red pepper, then chopped a couple ribs celery. Chopped some cilantro and cut up two avocados. In a big skillet, film with olive oil and add the crimini mushrooms. Cook and stir every few minutes until well browned. If you
desire, add some sea salt and pepper. I don't eat a lot of salt, so here this one is up to you. I believe Americans normally consume way too much salt and anyone that ever eats any processed food at all is getting a huge dose of the stuff. But then I weigh 270
(on good days) and my BP is generally about 115 over 60. Salt. Anyway, next add the chopped vegetables and saute about 4 or 5 minutes, just enough to begin to soften. Then add a half cup of the Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste. Stir it around and let it sort of begin to melt. Add a can of coconut milk and stir the whole thing until the paste mixes into the coconut milk. Add the avocado. Bring to a boil and turn down
and let simmer a couple minutes. Add the chopped cilantro and stir it in. That fresh cilantro adds a nice fresh touch to the dish. I served it with some brown rice. Easy peasy, I knew I was making this dish so last night I put two cups brown rice in a bowl and covered with water and let soak. I also took 12 ounces of garbanzo beans and covered with water and let soak all night as well. I drained the rice, put in a pressure cooker and added 3 cups water and brought to a boil, covered and pressure cooked for 20 minutes. Let the pressure drop on its own and served perfect brown rice with the curry. I also took the garbanzo
beans and rinsed, put into another pressure cooker (YES I HAVE 10 PRESSURE COOKERS) and covered with water an inch over the beans. Same, bring to boil, cover and bring to pressure, cook 25 minutes. Let cool, then drain some of the liquid and save for fake egg whites. (Aqua faba) Now, in a blender jar, juice a lemon, add about ten cloves garlic and dump in the beans. Add a quarter cup of good olive oil, a bunch of black pepper and blend until smooth. Spoon it out and serve the stuff on the side with the curry as beans and rice make a complete protein. Maybe to some that makes sense. I should do some stuff on protein complementarity some time to explain why it's good to eat a variety of foods to ensure that you get all eight of the essential amino acids. 

Anyway, just to mention here about the Mae Ploy. I like the stuff, it's my favorite curry. Paste type curries are a lot better than the dry powder stuff in the stores. Most stores have the stuff anymore although I love to shop at the oriental store near the house as lots of other cool stuff there. And seaweed as well. Been eating that a lot lately.I know, to some, curry is the easiest thing to make from scratch. I'm not some people though, I use Mae Ploy. But perhaps some day in the future.



Yep

No comments:

Post a Comment