But there are good things in the world, and not just the internet and the ability for me, and anyone really, to discuss and converse with anyone else in the world. But there are some really cool things that you can add to your diet that will have positive benefits to your life, may in fact help to prolong your life and extend the quality of that life at the same time. Simple things, that have not only been shown to have health benefits, but will make your food taste better. And after all, isn't that part of it, increasing the enjoyment of the life we live is a big part of it all.
- Cinnamon: Some pretty new research came out a couple months ago that showed that eating cinnamon daily will help to detoxify your body of aluminum. If you're like me, you cooked a lot on anodized or just plain aluminum cookware back in the day before we knew about the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease. Before my mind disappears completely, I now take a gram a day, and eat it more on a lot of the stuff I cook.
- Ginger and Turmeric: Wow, these are some of the coolest roots in the culinary world. The list of benefits is huge. Antibacterial, antiviral, antispasmodic, antiinflamatory, aids digestion, relief from nausea, and a whole host of other good things. And they taste great.
- Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Cilantro and Thyme: All spectacular herbs for adding flavor, and a huge hit of antibacterial and viral work to your blood stream. All four have tremendous antioxidant properties, are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and again, all taste great. Even the dried herbs are helpful, but a few pots of them growing on a window or porch will make the world a better place for you.
- Cardamon: This ancient Aryuvedic spice has properties that researchers are still finding out about. Just the great digestive aid and how if you take some daily it might (as has been shown in clinical trials) eliminate the need to take antacids and any of those horrific medications to prevent your stomach from performing its function. Like Prevacid, which when you read about all the scary side effects, a little cardamon is a great thing.
- Peppermint: Okay, I love peppermint. I drink a half a gallon of peppermint and stevia tea everyday. It is so good for you, it makes you smile, (and the weird sex thing as well, email me) and helps to detox your system from all the crap you ingest in the rest of you existence. If you do nothing else to help yourself, drinking peppermint tea or adding chopped fresh leaves to salads or whatever will improve your life in ways you might not imagine.
- Saffron: I have read a lot about this herb lately, and it truly is a miracle aid to cure a huge number of ailments from Alzheimer's to macular degeneration to weight loss. I don't eat a lot of it, well, cuz I'm broke. The stuff is not cheap. I have a few grams of the stuff and am going to start to try some here in the near future.
- Sweet Potatoes: Such a huge amount of nutrition is one little root. These guys should never be served up with tons of sugar and little HFCS marshmallows, that is so gross to destroy their identity. I love them, I eat them often, and they are a miracle food.
- Organic Papaya Seeds: Yeah, most of us dump them in the bin, but try washing them and going from there. When dried, and ground, they are a bit peppery and herbaceous. Chewing them increases saliva production and enhances digestion. They are packed with protein, vitamins and minerals. Bet you didn't see all that did you. Remember, only organic papaya are good for you, most Hawaiian papaya are Genetically Modified.
It's your world too, take a little responsibility for your little part of it.