Sunday, May 12, 2013

Just a hankerin' for Scallops

Was at the Farmers Market on Central and Northern yesterday selling my stuff, and they had a chili roaster there.  Made me want something fantastic.  So, I did it.  I bought some Bay Scallops and with them, made this fantastic dish.

Take two roasted poblano chiles and peel, seed and dice them.  Then take an ear of fresh corn and cut the corn off the cob. Take two big shallots and dice medium then saute in two tablespoons olive oil.  When translucent add the corn and continue to cook until it all begins to brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Add a cup of white wine to the pan and bring to a boil, then add a cup and a half of organic corn meal.  Easy for me, I buy organic corn and grind it myself, but it is available.  Organic is non-GMO and that is the most important thing.  Stir a bit and then add about 4 cups of shrimp or fish stock.  Water works, but stock makes for much better flavor.  Chicken stock is okay, but you know me and modern meat.  Bring to a boil and turn to low simmer.  Cook, stirring every few minutes until thick.  Add a half cup of grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese.  Stir in the corn, shallots and half the pablanos.  Now, take the scallops and dust with fresh ground pepper.  Take a pan and melt two tablespoons butter in it.  Place the scallops in the melted butter and cook until well browned, turn and brown the other side.  Place a big scoop of the polenta on a plate and then place scallops on top.  Garnish with some of the diced chiles and some chopped parsley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment